The Pollster Gallup has now reviewed the fittest and most obese cities and urban centers in the United States. The findings of this survey were collected by way of a telephone survey conducted between December 29 and January 2 2010.
Information about the respondents’ height and weight were collected and based on this the person’s body mass index was calculated. In addition, respondents furnished information about lifestyle such as exercise, eating habits, and access to insurance.
The concept that having a safe place to exercise is related to the obesity rates was reinforced by the poll when it was found that four metro areas in Colorado found a place in the top ten.
- At number 10 is Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk, Connecticut with 19.3% obesity; Denver/Aurora, Colorado with the same percentage of obesity
- At number 9 is San Francisco/Oakland/Fremont, California with 19.2% of the population being obese
- San Jose/Sunnyvale/Santa Clara, California is at number 8 with 19% obesity
- At no 7 is Santa Cruz/Watsonville, California with 17.9% obesity
- At no 6, Reno/Sparks, Nevada have 17.7% obesity
- San Luis Obispo/Paso Robles, California at no. 5 has 17.6% obesity
- Colorado Springs, Colorado is at no 4 with 17.2%
- Barnstable Town, Massachusetts at no 3 has 16.9% obesity
- Boulder, Colorado has 16.6% obesity and is the second fittest in the country
- Fort Collins/Loveland, Colorado is the fittest with just 16% obese people?