A lot of people are addicted to sugar even without their knowledge. If you have ever relied heavily on cookies, cakes, candies, ice cream and things like these, you are probably aware of how seductive they can be. However, this addiction like most other addictions is harmful for your body. It can lead to a number of health issues such as obesity, diabetes, heart problems etc. But this habit can also be changed. Here is how you can kick the sugar addiction.
5 ways to stop sugar addiction
Getting rid of this addiction can be difficult. However, once you made up your mind it is achievable. Here are top 5 ways through which you can solve the problem.
- The first step you might take is too freeing your house from those foods which can supply too much of sugar to your bodies. Do not keep sugared foods handy. This can help you to a huge extent to get a control over the addiction of sugar. Make sure you also get rid of brown sugar, maple syrup and things similar to these items.
- Even when you are getting rid of a negative habit you must consider adding some positive things in your life. Thus when you are cutting off supplies of unnecessary sugar to the body, you must not starve yourself, rather eat healthy foods to satiate your hunger. You can eat whole fruits, cherry tomatoes, dates and dried fruits among other things, which will satisfy your sweet tooth without compromising on your health. After getting rid of sugar habits, your taste buds will work better, and you will find these foods sweeter.
- When you give up sugar do not focus completely on weight loss. It is true that when you cut off the sugar consumption, you are bound to lose some weight, but losing weight should not be your primary concern. Instead focus all the energy you have on getting rid of the sugar addiction. If you focus too much on weight loss, you might end up getting caught up in a restrict-binge cycle of sugar consumption.
- Sometimes people consume foods with sugar in it under stress or as a result of some sort of a physical turmoil. If this is the case with you, it is important to identify, which unpleasant feeling has led to your consumption of sugar, and take up steps essential to deal with these unpleasant feelings. Remember, sugar was only a substitute for your real need which is something completely different.
- In the process of overcoming your sugar addiction it is highly possible that you will slip at times. Whenever such a slip occurs, start the process of overcoming once again. Also, you must acknowledge your slip because if you do not acknowledge the mistake you cannot possibly rectify it. Moreover, do not be too harsh on yourself, and forgive the slip.
Since sugar addiction is a habit which is mental and physical, you need psychological and physical approach together to get rid of it. As you eat less, you will crave less.