As you age, your body tends to need certain supplements, which it cannot get otherwise. This is why after you turn 40 you need some vitamins. Your body, regardless of your gender has several special needs while ageing. There are certain vitamin deficiencies that a lot of 40 plus people suffer from. Hence there are vitamin supplements that you need to deal with all the changes that your body is undergoing. Here are some of these vitamins.
5 Vitamins to take after 40
Earlier, people who have crossed 40 would have taken health related problems as their fate, but not anymore. Here are some vitamins that 40 plus people can take in order to stay healthy.
- Vitamin D – When you have reached 40, Vitamin D is one of the most important requirements for your body, according to experts. Lack of Vitamin D can lead to a number of disorders, such as heart diseases, diabetes, colorectal cancer among other things. Therefore, as you cross 40 it is essential to take Vitamin D supplement, or foods which are rich in Vitamin D. These include, fish, grains, fortified dairy among other things.
- Calcium – It has been found in a significant number of studies, that calcium intake cannot prevent fractures from happening later in 50 years or so. However, at the same time it should be remembered that calcium can lead to better bone health. Thus once you cross 40 make sure you have a proper amount of calcium intake. It is also good for better functioning of nerves, heart etc.
- B Complex – Men over 40 should also have B complex. These vitamins are needed in order to produce energy in your body which is to be converted from fat and carbohydrate. When there is lesser energy, you will tend to feel fatigued and worn out. This is where the B complex vitamins become important. Some of the important sources of B complex Vitamins are dairy products, eggs, meat, fish etc among other things.
- Magnesium – This helps to control blood pressure. Thus it is very important for people, especially women over 40 years of age. Magnesium deficiencies can lead to a number of health problems such as diabetes, heart troubles, and feeling of burning. However one should be careful about the intake of too much magnesium, because, it might lead to health hazards such as nausea and diarrhea.
- Potassium – This vitamin is another one that helps in regulating the blood pressure, not in people of 40 plus range, but in younger people and especially women. However, it is better that you do not take potassium supplement unless your doctor has prescribed it in order to cure some other disease, because the supplements can lead to serious health related problems. It is better to find Potassium from sources such as lentils, sweet potatoes, bananas among other things.
Apart from these, there are probiotics, and Omega 3 fatty acid, that you should also take when you have crossed the 40 years mark, though they are not actually vitamins. Taking them along with these vitamins will benefit your body.