It is always wise to have complete information about any fitness supplement that you plan to use since there can be questions about their safety and efficacy.
Researchers from The Consumer Report recently narrowed it down to 12 supplements that one should be avoiding and the reasons why these supplements should be avoided:
This is usually prescribed to reduce joint pain, inflammation and gout and to help with wounds. However it can result in side effects such as vomiting, nausea, palpitations, respiratory seizure, and even death.
This is used for reducing allergic reactions and nasal congestion and to help with weight loss. However it can cause irregular heartbeats, heart attack, fainting and stroke; and even death.
This is thought to help lose weight, and help reduce inflammation and infection. It is also use for treating cancer and as means for detoxification. However it is known to cause liver and kidney problems.
This can help with Lyme disease, Rosacea and other fungal infections. It is also used to combat food poisoning, psoriasis and chronic fatigue. However it can cause the skin to discolor (develop a bluish tint), cause kidney damage and also neurological problems.
It is used for allergies, asthma and respiratory tract related problems but is known to cause arrhythmia, heart attack and stroke; and even death.
It is used to reduce excessive bleeding during menstrual periods, and chest pain. It is also used as cancer treatment, but ironically may cause cancer as well as liver damage.
This is used for respiratory problems and or weight loss; but could cause arrhythmia, heart attack and stroke; even death.
It is supposed to reduce arthritis, osteoporosis, pain, infections, and even heart disease and HIV and cancer. However this could cause kidney damage and death.
This is used to treat indigestion and IBS as well as to detoxify the body. However it could cause liver damage.
This is used to reduce anxiety but could cause liver problems.
It is used by people wanting to give up smoking and those with respiratory problems. It could be toxic however and overdose could cause low blood pressure, increase heart rate, coma and death.
This is an aphrodisiac and is also used to keep diabetes in control and for chest problems. At regular doses it could cause high blood pressure and elevated pulse rate. At higher doses it could cause severe low blood pressure and other heart problems.