One of the key components to stay fit and healthy is a good nutritional diet.
Following a healthy, well-balanced diet provides you all the essential nutrients for the body.
However, not everyone follow a good diet, with which some of the nutrients may become deficient in the body.
The best way to handle the nutrients deficiency is to take fitness supplements. Adding fitness supplements to a healthy diet helps increase the nutritional levels in the body.
Fitness supplement refers to “something extra” that replaces the nutritional needs of the body, other than healthy diet and exercise.
Fitness supplements when used along with right diet and proper exercise program can help you make faster progress in reaching your goal of being fit and healthy.
These supplements are very economical and straightforward way to ensure that the body is getting the required vitamins and minerals adequately.
Fitness supplements are of several types, including micronutrients (vitamins, minerals, calcium, carbohydrates, fats), macronutrients (amino acids, proteins, essential fatty acids), enzymes (digestive enzymes and antioxidant enzymes), probiotics (beneficial bacteria in the gut), and herbal supplements. These supplements act uniquely in the body.
However, the key to achieve its best results lies in choosing the right fitness supplements.
Here are some general things to consider while buying fitness supplements:
- Look at the label of the fitness supplement for quality guarantee, serving size and ingredient effectiveness. Never use the supplements over the recommended dose on the label.
- Supplements prepared from natural sources are healthier than the synthetic ones. Natural supplements are more bioactive, can absorb into the body readily, and less contaminated by chemicals that are used in chemical synthesis.
- Consider the fitness supplements using safe extraction methods (cold pressed extraction or supercritical extraction), as it can evade the harmful deposits from chemical extractions.
- Beware while buying certain herbal fitness supplements, as some herbs may result in severe side effects.
- Herbal extracts are generally more effective than the supplements made from raw herbs.
- Supplements of naturally grown herbs are very safe, as they are not contaminated by pesticides and other chemical substances.
On the other hand, here are some safety rules to remember when using fitness supplement:
Although fitness supplements are safe, these cannot replace healthy diet and exercise routine. So, eat a healthy, well-balanced diet focusing more on fat free food, low-fat dairy products, fruits, vegetables, poultry, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds and legumes.
Consult your doctor before using supplements if you are already under certain treatment, as some fitness supplements can react with your medications. So, inform your doctor about the fitness supplements you take.
Fitness supplements when used in the correct dosage with right effectiveness, purity, consistency and bioavailability provide a high range of safety. So, the supplements should be taken according to the prescription only.