Autism is a lifelong development disorder or disability that affects the behavior, way of communication and the sense of the world around a person. Autism mainly affects children and those who suffer from its symptoms have a number of mineral and nutrient deficiencies. This deficiency is a result of physiological or diet related abnormalities in which certain nutrients are not completely absorbed by the digestive system.
This is the reason why children or patients with autism are often recommended to have a diet full of vitamins and minerals. With the use of vitamins and other nutrients, autistic children can achieve higher brain function, improvement in sleep patterns and an increase in the function of the immune system. They also show change in detrimental behavior and can have a better lifestyle as well. Let’s look at how autism can be treated with the help of vitamins and minerals.
- Some vitamins and minerals which are deficient in the case of autistic children include B vitamins like Vitamin B6, B12, B5, B1 and B3. Also Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin D, Zinc, folate, biotin and Gamma Linolenic acid are also commonly low. Thus an autistic child must be given diet full of these vitamins.
- Supplements of omega 3 fatty acids or foods high on this nutrient is also recommended to autistic people as it is deficient in their case and hence can help their brain and bodily functions.
- Vitamins and their supplements have often been found to cure the oxidative stress which is caused in the case of autistic children. Also these supplements can target the inflammation which too is caused when a child or an adult suffers from autism.
- Some other uses of taking vitamins and minerals by those suffering from autism include treatment of immunity deficits, brain development, stemming and helping in higher learning.
- If an autistic child has problems in focusing and attention, then the supplement called methyl B-12 can be helpful as it helps to improve the attention through its special effect on the brain.
- Another mineral which can be taken is selenium. This is a mineral which acts as a detoxifying agent that binds the mercury by forming selenium-mercury complexes which can be excreted safely through the urine.
- Calcium is an important mineral which also helps with a lot of body processes and is important for autistic children. This nutrient is especially important for those who need digestive, metabolic and neurologic support. It helps with support of growth and strength of bones, teeth, healthy gums and skeletal health and growth as well.
- Water soluble vitamins promote the normal processing of fats, carbohydrates as well as protein. These can be really helpful in maintaining a healthy respiratory and nervous system. These supplements can also promote antibody production, normal human growth and brain functions.
- Folic acid is a B vitamin which too is essential for the body for a wide range of reasons. It supports the normal development for autistic children and also the development of the nervous system.