Is your appetite lower than it used to be? Do foods taste less tempting than they are used to?
There is a reason that is your metabolism is slowing down. Metabolism slows down a little even if you are exercising at this age.
If you don’t exercise, your metabolism dives into gutter. It means even if you eat little you gain weight. How unfair is that? Yes, but it is fact.
Your taste buds become less sharp than they used to be. Your sense of smell declines a bit as well. Taste and smell affect how much you enjoy your food. If you are on medicines, it also alters the food taste.
Prepare a healthy eating plan to get enough nutrients. Healthy eating plan includes wide range of foods. If you eat low quality food or eat the same food daily, you will be in danger of developing a nutrition deficit.
To get around this problem, healthy eating plan should be prepared and followed.
Healthy eating plan:
- Try food from different cultures. This makes you to expose to wide range of foods and broadens your mind. This also includes total amount calorie consumption throughout the day.
- Concentrate on the quality of your food ingredients. Eat fresh fruits and vegetables whenever possible. Eat in raw form rather than boiled, cooked or steamed in microwave. Vitamin C and E are present in many fruits and vegetables which lowers risk of Alzheimer’s.
- Eat smaller meals often. Breaking the three big meals into five or six small meals can take the stress off eating and your metabolism works continuously. The meals should be taken for every two to three hours so that your metabolism does not become overworked.
- Exercise vigorously because it improves your appetite as exercise builds muscle and burns more calories.
- Healthy eating plan includes balance of important nutrients such as carbohydrates, proteins and healthy fats. Vegetarian protein contains fiber. The more fiber in your body, the fewer toxins. There is no cholesterol in plant based protein. Plant based proteins are easier to digest.
- Drink plenty of water. Your body requires much water so make it a point to drink at least six to eight large glasses of water daily. Water helps in cleansing the body of impurities.
- Healthy eating plan should not include foods filled with sugar as they will not do much for maintaining healthy body. The empty calories that sweets have will actually lead to weight gain and increased glucose levels. This affects your health.
- Healthy eating plan includes whole grains such as barley, brown rice, and quinoa which give boost to various systems in the right direction.
- Eat fat free dairy or calcium and vitamin D fortified soy products. It helps in maintaining the bones stronger (Dietary supplements).
- Avoid processed foods. As processed foods spoil quickly, additives and preservatives are added. This will increase the calorie and carbohydrate content and which in turn makes them unhealthy and nutrient deficient.
- Healthy eating plan should be followed to avoid deviation from your diet and eating unhealthy foods. Healthy eating plan focuses on what you need to eat every day and lowers the chances of your mind wandering towards unhealthy food choices.
Eating healthy with healthy eating plan is more than a diet (Dietary guidlines). You have to make commitment and stick to the healthy eating plan in order to receive full benefits from the sacrifices you have made.