While exercises are important for those ripped six pack abs, what is also vitally important is an appropriate six pack abs diet which will help you lower the body fat percentage and add definition to the underlying muscles of the abdomen.
Here are the things that you should include in your diet to get six pack abs:
- Probably the most important component of a six pack abs diet is good quality protein, which can be obtained from lean cuts of meat, eggs, fish, and low fat dairy such as skim milk, whey protein drinks, soy, nuts, beans and legumes.
- Carbs should be part of a six pack abs diet; it is not wise to cut them out altogether. However, it is important to have good quality carbs that come from unrefined and natural sources so that they offer a sustained release of energy to the body throughout the day. For instance, the kind of sugar that is obtained from fruit will help the body by giving it sustained slower release of energy rather than the sudden spike that comes from other kinds of carbs.
- High fiber food should also form part of an effective six pack abs diet. Leafy green vegetables, brown rice, oatmeal, legumes, fruits, beans, and other whole foods that are high in fiber should be an important part of a six pack abs diet.
- Another food group not to cut out of a six pack abs diet is the right kind of fats. Fats that are obtained from olives, nuts, seeds etc., are of good quality and provide the body with essential nutrients.
- Smaller, more frequent meals through the day will keep your metabolism going at a higher rate and this will help both in fat burning and in preserving lean muscle. So it isn’t just what you eat, but also when and how you eat it, that is important for your six pack abs diet.
- The post workout meal is a very important aspect of a six pack abs diet. Post your workout, the meal that you eat will sustain your energy levels and also make sure that your metabolism remains in a revved up state.
- Also include plenty of water along with what you eat.
Now let us take a look at the items that you should be keeping out of your six pack abs diet:
- Processed, refined foods and drinks that are high in harmful fats and sugars are best kept to an absolute minimum in a six pack abs diet. The fact that processed items contain preservatives, artificial flavors and artificial colors is the reason to keep these off your diet even otherwise.
- Your six pack abs diet should also be low in sodium or salt. There are many reasons to keep salt levels in food low, but this is particularly important from the point of view of a six pack abs diet. A high salt diet will make you retain water which will reduce the definition of the abs muscles.