The essential vitamins which constitute Vitamin B complex are- Vitamin B1, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, VitaminB5, Vitamin B6, Vitamin B9, Vitamin B12, Biotin, Choline and Inositol. Vitamin B complex is essential for the proper functioning of almost all processes and systems in the body. There are a number of ways in which B complex Vitamin benefits our health and maintains sync in our different body processes.
5 Reasons the Body needs Vitamin B Complex
- Energy Production: The major function of Vitamin B1 is to convert the consumed carbohydrates into glucose. The converted glucose undergoes further conversion at a cellular level where the glucose is converted into energy. This particular conversion requires the following B vitamins- B2, B3, B5, B6 and Biotin. Deficiency of any of the vitamins in the Vitamin B complex group leads to reduced levels of energy production and thus causelethargy and feeling of fatigue.
- Proper Digestion: B complex vitamins help in proper digestion of the consumed food and also help in producing Hydrochloric Acid which enhances breaking down of fats, carbohydrates and also proteins. Vitamins B1, B2, B3 and B6 are specifically vital for digestion. Deficiency of these vitamins can cause impaired digestion, leading to deficiency of other nutrients which the body is unable to get from the food.
- Healthy Nervous System: Vitamin B complex not only aids proper functioning of the digestive system, but is also needed for the proper functioning of the nervous system. Correct functioning of the adrenal gland, production of specific hormones and substances which regulate the nervous system essentially require Vitamin B5. During pregnancy, in order to prevent any sort of neural tube malfunction of the foetus, Vitamin B9 is highly important. Deficiency of these vitamins can induce feelings of stress, anxiety and depression.
- Healthy Skin, Hair and Nails: RNA and DNA synthesis and cell reproduction is enhanced essentially by the vitamin B complex. The constant growth of skin, hair and nails and their renewal and good health is dependent upon the vitamins in the B complex group. Lack of these vitamins lead to damaging of these structures and can cause acne, hair fall, dry skin, splitting nails, etc.
- Synergy: The individual vitamins of the B complex group are so interlinked that deficiency even in one of these can lead to improper functioning of the other vitamins, even though they are sufficiently available in the body. This is why it is important to take Vitamin B-complex supplement rather than individual B vitamins.