If you want to lose weight, you have to follow healthy diet and nutrition [Health nutrition].
Healthy diet includes vegetables, fruits, milk, oils, grains, beans and meat.
- Select the calorie levels to accommodate the needs of your body.
- Include fats from different plants and fish such as canola, corn, soybean, olive and sunflower oil.
- Get the majority of nutrients from fresh sources. Generally one cup of fruit or 100% juice is considered as one cup from the fruit group.
- Include all fresh, canned, frozen, dried vegetables and fruit juices. 1 cup of raw or cooked vegetables or vegetable juice or two cups of raw leafy greens is considered as one cup from the vegetable group.
- Include all foods made from wheat, cornmeal, rice, oats, and barley. Such foods are pasta, oatmeal, bread, breakfast cereals, tortillas and grits is considered as one ounce equivalent from the grains group.
- One ounce of lean meat, fish or poultry, or 1 egg, ¼ cup cooked dry beans or ½ ounce of nuts or seeds is considered as one ounce equivalent from the meat and beans group.
- Include all fluid milk products and food made from milk that retains the calcium content such as yogurt and cheese. One cup of milk or yogurt, 1 ½ ounces of natural cheese, or two ounces of processed cheese can be considered as one cup from the milk group.
These are general healthy diet guidelines. Before using it, you have to figure out your specific caloric needs based on your weight, age and current activity level. The amount of calories you need to survive starts to decline as you grow older.
You lose muscle and gain more fat as you grow older. You can change that by starting exercise and building muscle. But, only exercise will not help to lose fat and gain muscle. You have to follow healthy diet and exercise.
At fifty you have to focus on the quality of food you eat. General guidelines on the quality of food you eat:
- Your healthy diet includes low salt and low fat food with plenty of vegetables, fruits and fiber.
- Eat smaller meals throughout the day to support the metabolism.
- You should stay away from simple and refined carbohydrates [Low carbohydrate diet].
- You should get majority fats from healthy fats such as olive oil, nut oils, avocados, nuts and soybean oil.
- You should eat lean protein only. Get proteins from beans and legumes. You can also take soy and dairy products as they contain protein.
- Calcium is important for your bones. Get more calcium for stronger bones.
- Eat plenty of fiber as fiber is considered as healthy diet for clearing dangerous and cancer causing agents from your body. Beans, fruits and vegetables contain fiber.