Healthy sleep habit is important for body to function properly and optimally at its best. You are designed in such a way that without sleep you face an unbalanced, unhealthy life and lifestyle.
If your body is deprived of sleep, it leads to disaster. You can face distressing effects if you have insomnia and prolonged sleep loss. Without proper sleep habits, your performance and health can be affected.
Your life can be affected with:
- Restless leg syndrome
- Sleep apnea
- Interrupted sleep
- Personal and professional life
- Not sleeping very deeply
- Anxiety, mood and depression
- Not feeling refreshed up on waking up
- Sleep deprivation
- Circadian rhythm disorders
- Alcohol and other drug abuse
- Health problems
Healthy sleep habits for your health and wellness:
- Exercising is a healthy sleep habit which makes it easier to fall asleep. Exercising in the late afternoon is the perfect way to help you fall asleep at night. Do not exercise before going to bed because it stimulates your body and makes it more difficult to fall asleep.
- Avoid alcohol before going to bed. Alcohol is a sedative which makes you to sleep for first few hours but not throughout the night. It disturbs a night-time sleep causing awakening which leads to less restful sleep.
- Herbs are helpful for treating sleep disorders. Chamomile tea and valerian helps with insomnia and other sleep issues.
- Relaxation technique is a healthy sleep habit to concentrate and relax the muscles in your body.
- Consuming protein before going to bed is a healthy sleep habit.
- Spend most energy during the day and be active to allow your body to replenish.
- Make the sleep environment calm and quiet and remove all the disturbances from the room such as alarm clock and television.
- Following the regular sleep schedule is a healthy sleep habit. Go to sleep at the same time and get up in the morning at the same time.
- Turn off the lights and use curtains if outside light is disturbing your sleep.
- If you are not able to sleep, get up from the bed and read something or listen to music.
- Including breathing techniques before going to sleep is a healthy sleep habit. Inhale and exhale with deep breathing for thirty seconds. Repeat it until you fall asleep.
- Take a hot shower or bath before going to bed
- Finishing your dinner 2 to 3 hours before bedtime is a healthy sleep habit. Too much fluid intake also should be avoided otherwise you have to wake up to go for bathroom.
- If outside noise is disturbing, block the noise with heavy curtains or use ear buds.
- Use your bedroom only for sleep and sex. Don’t use for other activities like discussing about financial issues, bills, and watching television.
- Make your sleep environment comfortable and cool, and free of interruptions.