Posted on Apr 28, 2014 | Comments 0
You can love it or hate it, but you definitely can’t ignore the various health benefits of Broccoli. This little green vegetable is considered a nutritional wonder and is one of the healthiest foods in the world. There are many ways in which broccoli be incorporated into our diets and enhance our health. It is the member of the cabbage family and is very closely related to cauliflower. The following are some of the most important health benefits of broccoli:
1. Improves the nervous system-one of the greatest benefits of eating broccoli is that it helps in enhancing the overall function of the nervous system and promotes optimal brain function as well. This is due to the fact that this vegetable is high on the potassium content which maintaining muscle growth as well.
2. Improves bone health– another important benefit of incorporating broccoli in your diet is that it can prove effective in prevention of osteoporosis and promotes bone strengthening. This is because of the high amount of calcium and Vitamin K present in it.
3. Contains Vitamin C-Broccoli contains high quantity of Vitamin C which is important for many body functions. It eases the discomfort of the common cold due since Vitamin C is an important antihistamine.
4. Promotes eye health– Since broccoli is a good source of Vitamin A, it is considered great for the health of the eye. This vitamin is required to form retinol is thus important for each one of us.
5. Fights against heart diseases-Another health benefit of broccoli is that it prevents the thickening of the arteries of the heart and the body and thus fights against heart diseases or ailments.
6. High in dietary fiber-Broccoli is very high on dietary fiber content which not only prevents constipation but also improves digestive functions and maintains low levels of blood sugar.
7. Strengthens the immune system-presence of zinc and selenium makes broccoli an important food for strengthening the immune system of the human body and this is one of its major health benefits. It is observed that one cup of broccoli can boost the immune function.
8. Regulates blood pressure-the fact that this green vegetable of the cabbage family is high on magnesium, potassium and calcium makes it an excellent food which can regulate the blood pressure effectively.
9. Prevents sun damage-another benefit of broccoli is that it repairs the damage caused to the skin due to pollution, UV rays etc. It contains glucoraphanin which promotes skin detoxification and helps it to repair itself.
10. Cancer prevention– due to the presence of Glucoraphanin, broccoli is considered good for prevention of cancer. Glucoraphanin helps the body to process anti-cancer compound sulphoraphane. This compound decreases the risk of gastric cancer and even other cancers. Moreover, broccoli contains indole-3-carbinol which is a powerful antioxidant that boosts the liver function and slows down the growth of prostate, cervical and breast cancer etc.
Thus for all those who avoid having broccoli, it’s time to rethink and make this green wonder a part of your daily diet.
Posted in: HEALTHY LIVING