What are the Causes of stiff neck?
There are many cause of stiff neck few of them are:
- Improper sleeping position can strain your neck muscles and lead to stiff neck.
- Not sitting in a proper position at work.
- Sudden jerk in the neck (due to some accident).
- Stress is also a cause of stiff neck.
- Regular use of multiple pillows while sleeping.
- Playing constant games or sports.
- A sudden and forceful sneeze
What are the symptoms of neck stiffness?
- Very less movement of neck
- Pain in the shoulder, upper back, arms and neck
- Not feeling comfortable while sleeping
- Cervical and upper back muscle spasm
- Headache and fever
Top 6 Instant Stiff Neck Relief Exercises
Instead of taking pain killers; try to follow some simple and easy neck moves. Here are 6 Simple exercised to get rid of stiff neck.
- Neck Retraction
While lying face up or sitting down, bring head straight back, keep your eyes on the horizontal position. Hold it there for few seconds and return to neutral position. You can repeat this for 10 times in a day.
- Head Drop
Starting in a seated position, retract neck. Slowly move your head up and backward as far as you can comfortable. Return to neutral position and repeat this for 10 times.
- Side bend
Sit down, bring head into neck-retraction position, then gently guide right ear towards right shoulder with right hand. Stop when you feel a stretch on left side of neck. Return to neutral position, you can repeat this 5 times on each side.
While sitting, bring head into neck-retraction position, then gently turn head diagonally to the right so your nose is over your shoulder. Return to neutral. Repeat this for at least 5 times in each direction.
Sitting down, bring head into neck-retraction position. Clasp hands behind head and gently guide head down, bringing chin toward chest. Stop when you feel a stretch in the back of your neck. Return to neutral and repeat this for at least 5 times.
- Shoulder blade pull
While sitting, bend raised arm at 90 degree angles. Relax shoulders and neck. Keeping arms and neck still, squeeze the muscles between shoulder blades, drawing shoulder blades closer together. Return to neutral position and repeat this for 5 times.
Some other handy tips for stiff neck
- Do not sleep on your stomach. Sleep on your either sides or on back
- Try to sleep without pillow for few days.
- Make sure your mattress is firm enough to provide enough support or your neck and spine.
- Practice good posture throughout the day when sitting or standing.
Avoid putting any strain on your neck muscles, as it can increase the pain and delay the healing process.